Saturday, November 12, 2005

Man says he's seen Noah's Ark


"A Tulsa, Okla., man says his faith in God led him to believe in the biblical story of Noah's Ark, but his trip to a remote area in eastern Turkey led him to accept the historic vessel was genuine."

"Val Smith says he traveled to Mt. Ararat recently to see what a 1960 Life magazine article suggested was the final resting place for the Ark, though the journey was an attempt to solidify, not validate, his faith."

"For Smith, the journey was a combination of living history and faith.

"Many people tell me I don't need Noah's Ark, I have faith. Well that's great. I had faith. But, now I know. I've been on this thing," he told the NewsCenter 8 in Tulsa. "Don't believe me and don't believe others. Read the Bible for yourself and look at these things. That's what really makes it simple."

The Turkish government has turned the region into a tourist spot, designating it "Noah's Ark National Park" and even building a visitor's center.

According to Space.com, the U.S. Air Force took the first photographs of the Mt. Ararat site in 1949. The images allegedly revealed what seemed to be a structure covered by ice, but were held for years in a confidential file labeled "Ararat Anomaly."

No comments: