Monday, June 27, 2005

Freedom of religion

"The Supreme Board of Radio and Television (RTÜK) determined that a radio station was broadcasting Christian propaganda and that this type of programming was against the national interest and the value systems of the Turkish people. It therefore opened a court case against the station. At court it was decided that such broadcasting should NOT be considered 'illegal' as the spread of religious messages was part of religious freedom.

These types of developments open new corridors of thought in the Turkish mindset. I am no exception and I'd like to share my thoughts with you very sincerely."

This lady goes on to describe her experience meeting some Bahai missionaries in Malta who lied to her about their reason for being there and then when she found out the real reason, tried to convert her. At that point she writes of her conversation with her 'friend', Pat:

"Do you know what you are suggesting?"

"No. What?"

"You are suggesting to me something like this: 'Ayşe. Ali, Canan and Ahmet are not your children. They may seem to be so far but they are not. Now give them up. I will give you new and better children.' That is what I am hearing, Pat. Can you understand what I am saying? What are you trying to do?"

At this point Pat got up from the couch, proceeded to the door, walked out and we never talked to each other again. They continued their friendship with my English friend for a few more weeks. But when they approached her with their 'message' and how wonderful it would be if my friend donated her gold shares to them, my friend stopped seeing them as well.

Yes. Freedom of religion. Sure. But I sincerely felt assaulted and I am not afraid to share this story with you so that you may understand how some people react to such efforts."

This article demonstrates the importance in being honest with people, approaching them in the spirit of truth, as bearers of the real Truth. Of course, these people in the story were teaching a false religion and it seems after money, but we can make a positive or negative impact by what we share as well.
Turkish Daily News - Freedom of religion

No comments: